Occupiers' FAQ
Find Your Answers Here

We have listed here Occupiers' FAQs. We will up-date this page according to the questions that are fielded from potential and current tenants.

What is my Holding Deposit for?
A: This is one of the most common Occupiers' FAQs. "Holding Deposit" is a permitted payment up to a maximum of 1 week's rent. It is to secure your interest in the property while assessing the Occupiers' application. The process can involve financial reference checks by a third party agency, Criminal Records Bureau Checks, following up character references, previous landlords references, previous and current employer references.

Q: Why are references required?
A: Employers’references, Landlords’ references and credit checks are made to ensure that the applicant has the means to pay the rent and utility bills. In the case of Joint Ocupancy or multiple occupancy properties these checks and references also help to ensure that suitable applicants (socially and financially responsible persons) are accepted as occupiers.

Q: What is my bond for?
A: Your bond is an insurance against any damages to the Landlord's property and for any unpaid bills and rent.

Q: How much is the bond?
A: Your bond will depend on your prospective Landlord's decision. By law the bond amount cannot be more than 5 weeks  rent.

Q: When can I have my bond returned?
A: This is a tenant FAQ at the end of their occupancy. Your bond will be returned to you at the end of your occupancy once all relevant deductions have been made. The deductions may include the cost of cleaning, payment for outstanding bills and damages.Considerations will be made to the age and condition of items requiring replacement due to damage (excluding wear and tear). This process may take several weeks to complete. In order to speed this process ensure that all bills have been paid dated to the end of your occupancy and all payments for damages paid in full.

Q: What is fair wear and tear?
A: This is a difficult Occupiers' FAQ. Fair wear and tear is the normal deterioration of an item in normal use. A deduction will be made for fair wear and tear from the value of the original item. There are various methods of accounting for damages to be paid. We may advise the Landlord of the amount to be compensated and the methods to calculate.

However, the final amount payable is the Landlord’s decision. Where the damage is not too severe to require replacement, a charge can be made towards its premature future replacement. For example, cigarette burns or small stains on carpets and soft furnishings a spot charge of 20 (twenty) pounds. Mattress stains or iron burns on carpets that leave a permanent and clear mark will require replacement of the item.

Protect yourself against theft and accidental damage to your possessions and landlords property.

Q: What happens before we leave the property?
A: Another Occupiers' FAQ at the end of their occupancy. A final inspection of the property should carried out to ensure that all possessions have been removed from the premises. The property is clean and tidy. Remove all junk mail and black bags containing rubbish generated in the clearout. All black bags of rubbish should have been disposed of in the normal rubbish collection cycle or at the local Civic Ameneties sites.

All carpets should have been vacuumed as well as under any moveable furniture. The original lampshades fitted with working light bulbs. Bedroom doors wiped down. Wardrobes, chest of drawers and desk are emptied and dusted. All floors should be swept and mopped.

Bathroom toilet de-scaled, shower curtain washed and rehung, bathtub, sink and taps are de-scaled and cleaned. Bathroom and Kitchen wall tiles and grout cleaned. Kitchen appliances degreased and thoroughly cleaned. The fridge and freezer are to be switched off, the freezer defrosted. The fridge and freezer must be emptied and cleaned. The doors of the fridge and the freezer are to be free of labels, magnets and stickers and be left ajar.

All bins must be emptied and cleaned. All black bags of rubbish should have been disposed of in the normal rubbish collection cycle or at the local Civic Ameneties sites. Remove all stickers, posters, blue tac and/or cellotape from all walls.

Q: What is the procedure for the return of keys?
A: Please label each set of keys detailing your name, room (e.g. Upstairs Front Room, Room 1). All keys for the property must be returned in order to hand these to the next tenants. Failure to do so would mean that new keys must be cut. You will be charged for the replacements.

Q: Evidence of bill payment, what is the reason?
A: We need the proof that all the utility bills have been settled to prevent the new tenants being chased for bills that do not relate to them. It is VITAL that all bills cover the complete tenancy period. You should contact the utility provider with the meter readings and to inform them that the bill must be dated for the final date of the tenancy.

Please submit the original copy of the bills showing one of the following: Zero bills dated the last date of your tenancy, Bills dated the final date of your tenancy with a post office stamp indicating payment or a bills which shows credit dated to the last day of your tenancy.

Q: What happens when one of my guests damages the Landlord's property?
A: This  FAQ is a Landlords nightmare if you do not have Tenant Insurance. You are responsible for you and your visitors’ actions. You are liable for cost of the damage. It is advisable to take out adequate Tenant Insurance cover against losses through theft or accidental damages.For more information on Student Insurance. Receive an on-line quote from Endsleigh to see how much you can save on a wide range on insurance cover including Tenant Contents, Car, Travel and Bike Insurance.

Q: What is the Landlord responsible for?
A: Your landlord is responsible for:

  • Repairs to structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water installations, basins, sinks, baths and sanitary installations.
  • The Safety of gas and electrical appliances provided.
  • The fire safety of furniture and furnishings provided by the Landlord.
  • Maintaining the house in a habitable condition.

Q: What is a habitable condition?
A: The Housing Act provides guidelines as to determine whether a dwelling is fit for human habitation. Namely, the property has to be in good physical repair, free from damp, have natural light in each bedroom and living room, adequate ventilation, clean water supply, proper drainage and sanitary conveniences; to have facilities for the storage, preparation and cooking of food.

Q: As a student do I have to pay Council Tax?
A: This is a student FAQ. A student does not have to pay council tax if you live in the halls of residence, live in a house where ALL the residents are in full time further education. Provided that all the students in the shared accommodation have supplied the council office with a copy of their tenancy agreement and student certificate.

Q: What happens when not all the residents are students?
A: If all of the tenants sign up on a joint tenancy, they are all responsible for the Council Tax bill. If one person becomes liable for Council Tax, the full tax bill is payable less a 25% rebate. If two or more persons are liable for Council Tax, no rebate is given.

Q: What am I responsible for?
A: You are responsible for:

  • Prompt payment of the rent.
  • Prompt payment of gas, electricity, telephone and Internet bills.
  • You are also responsible for early reporting of damages and items requiring repairs.
  • You are required to be a responsible citizen and respect the needs of your neighbours.

If you have any further questions which you or other Occupiers' FAQ, please Contact Us by e-mail, phone or using the on-line form.

Return from Tenant FAQ to Home Page